Here are my guidelines:
- Each week, pick a box, a shelf, or a stack. Go through it. It’s important to consider what to do with things, but equally important to see what I can learn. Why was this kept? What does it tell me about Bob or about me?
- Don’t throw anything away. Donate, share, use, sell, trade, recycle. Explore ways to find the best destination for each object.
- Start with what I can see. If I clean the closets out first, I’ll just put stuff in them instead of getting rid of it.
- Always heed the “look at it once” rule. Look at something once and decide what to do with it… don’t put it back where I’ll have to spend time on it yet another day.
- When friends offer help — say yes.